My son got engaged on the weekend and as part of the celebrations, he and his lovely fiancée asked me to make cupcakes. My future daughter-in-law is gluten intolerant and I wanted to make something that she could eat without worrying about the consequences.
I am new to the whole flourless-gluten-free-baking and so I searched high and low for a recipe that I felt confident making. I found one that had potential, but as always, I felt the need to adapt it.
I needed to make one hundred cupcakes, so it gave me lots of chances to practise! In the end I was really happy with how they turned out and they tasted pretty darn good too.
The tops did sink, which I kind of expected because of their flourless nature, but when topped with a mound of cream cheese icing, no one could tell. The inside was moist and dense with a rich chocolate flavour and a hint of raspberry. All in all, they were delicious.
Flourless Chocolate & Raspberry Cupcakes
Makes 12-15 cupcakes
*Metric weights and measures used
115gm Dark Chocolate
3/4 cup packed Brown Sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Instant Coffee
1/2 cup Almond Meal
1/2 tsp Bi-Carb Soda
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup frozen raspberries, crushed
Cream Cheese Icing
125gm Cream Cheese
4 cups Icing Mixture
4 tbls Thickened Cream
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 190˚C. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake papers.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine butter and chocolate. Heat in microwave in 30 sec increments until melted and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Add brown sugar, cocoa powder, coffee and bi-carb. Whisk until smooth.
- Fold in almond meal and raspberries.
- Pour in melted chocolate mixture and fold to combine.
- Spoon into cupcake tins.
- Bake for approximately 25mins.
- Allow to cool while preparing Cream Cheese Icing.
- Whisk butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until pale and creamy – approximately 5mins.
- Add icing sugar, cream and vanilla extract.
- Start mixer on slow to combine ingredients and then whisk on high speed for a further 5 mins.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- When cupcakes are cold, pipe swirls of cream cheese icing on top and serve.